What to know how long until Valentine’s Day? Check out the answer here to see how long until Valentine’s Day, and countdown to Valentine’s Day in months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, and seconds.
How Long Until Valentine’s Day: Valentine Facts
- Saint Valentine: The origin of Valentine’s Day can be traced back to the ancient Roman festival of Lupercalia, which was a fertility celebration held on February 15. The day was later Christianized and associated with Saint Valentine, a third-century Roman saint who was martyred on February 14. The association with love and romance likely started during the Middle Ages.
- Exchanging Valentine’s Cards: The tradition of exchanging Valentine’s cards or “valentines” is believed to have originated in the 15th century. The first commercially printed Valentine cards appeared in the 19th century in England. Today, millions of Valentine’s cards are exchanged worldwide each year.
- Conversation Hearts: Those little candy hearts with sweet messages like “Be Mine” and “True Love” have been a Valentine’s Day staple for over 150 years. They were first created in the 1860s by the New England Confectionery Company (NECCO).
- Cupid: In Roman mythology, Cupid was the god of desire, attraction, and affection. He is often depicted as a winged cherub with a bow and arrow, which he uses to strike the hearts of people, causing them to fall in love. Cupid is closely associated with Valentine’s Day as a symbol of love.
- Love Birds: The expression “love birds” has a literal origin. Some bird species, like doves and pigeons, are known for their strong pair bonding and affectionate behaviors. They have been used as symbols of love and devotion since ancient times.